Monday, May 18, 2009

Oyster quotes

“As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.”
Ernest Hemingway, A Moveable Feast

"I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead - not sick, not wounded - dead."
Woody Allen


"I am not tragically colored. There is no great sorrow dammed up in my soul, nor lurking behind my eyes. I do not mind at all. . . . I do not weep at the world -- I am too busy sharpening my oyster knife. "
Zora Neale Hurston

“It's a wery remarkable circumstance, sir," said Sam, "that poverty and oysters always seem to go together."
Charles Dickens
The Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club

"If you don’t love life you can’t enjoy an oyster; there is a shock of freshness to it and intimations of the ages of man, some piercing intuition of the sea and all its weeds and breezes"
Eleanor Clark


"The life of man is of no greater importance to the universe than that of an oyster"
David Hume

“I will not be sworn but love may transform me to an oyster; but I'll take my oath on it, till he have made an oyster of me he shall never make me such a fool.”
William Shakespeare
Much Ado About Nothing (Benedick at II, iii)




"Before I was born my mother was in great agony of spirit and in a tragic situation. She could take no food except iced oysters and champagne. If people ask me when I began to dance, I reply, 'In my mother's womb, probably as a result of the oysters and champagne - the food of Aphrodite.'"
Isadora Duncan, American dancer (1878-1927)

"Then the worlds mine oyster, which I with sword shall open"
Old Willy

"We are bound to our bodies like an oyster to its shell"
Plato

“A loaf of bread, the Walrus said,
Is what we chiefly need:
Pepper and vinegar besides
Are very good indeed--
Now if you're ready, Oysters, dear,
We can begin to feed!”
Lewis Carroll (Charles Lutwidge Dodgson) (1832-1898)
Alice Through the Looking-Glass

"Oysters are the most tender and delicate of all seafoods; The stay in bed all day and night; They never work or take exercise, are stupendous drinkers, and wait for their meals to come to them"
Hector Bolitho

"I live absolutely like an oyster"
Gustave Flaubert

its not oyster but good:

"We write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospection.

Anais Nin


1 comment:

ptownpixie said...

Not one person mentioned vagina???