Thursday, March 6, 2008

I love Artichokes..

I remember the first one I ever tried. I was about fifteen and my B.F.F.L. Miss J. turns up with an artichoke she steamed instead of her usual Top Ramen hot pot. It seemed only a few minutes before she was showing me how to dip the torn edge in mayonnaise, and to scrape the greenness off the silvery leaves with my teeth. When she made it to the heart it was all I could do not to run to the store and buy more..

These days I make up a bit of mayo and a lemon herb butter. Often after steaming I cut them in half, oil lightly and grill for the last few minutes. It seems to add the lightest hint of darkness to the tangy thistle.

I planted a globe artichoke plant last year and am hoping to get a 'choke or three this season. The way the economy is going it might be the only way I can get them..

No comments: