Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Yellow gold 'tates

There is no baking going on in this house till we get a new oven and cooking this week with out a way to bake has been a trial, but has caused me to dig out a few gadgets I don't normaly use. One of them happens to be the "Fat Daddy Frier" I hijacked from the Mom. Filled with a half gallon of corn oil and heated to a nice 375 I figured we could move through a few spuds. Hopefully as last month I had picked up a bag of yellow gold potatoes from costco. These sweet, juicy, delightful, taters are tiny but really a good choice for frying, fortunately as I have twenty pounds of potatoes.

Buying in bulk is a great idea, while actually using it all seems to be a feat! I made potato salad, and thought about making tater soup till I remembered I don't really like it with out bacon and sour cream and you have to prebake the tubers... so that is out for now though I could toss a few on the grill...

Fry daddy! Filled with boiling oil, ready to remove skin! I pulled out the danger-lin and sliced up a few yellow golds. I tried about 6 different slices from the mandolin, three slices of varying thickness and a few off the shredder. I eventually sliced a few things by hand and tried out my spiral cutter thing "as seen on tv". The spirals I cut appart as they would have stuck together. I was only really limited to the size of my tater.

My favorites where the thinest slice they came out like a tender kettle chip. Tossed with a pinch of sea salt and fresh ground pepper made me wonder why kettle chips are still in business. Then I looked the mess I had made making roast beef aju and fried potatoes.

There was a place in the what is now know as the pearl. biwa, mima, bisu, kapow, I can't remember the name right now, gone for so many years like all the restaurants except for the one that is there now. biwa I am pretty sure it was called had a "taco" that was actually a bit more like a wrap really, served with long skinny fries, well done and crispy with a lightly chewy center, but crisp with a snap almost like a good hebrew national. Golden and sweet crisp with a beautiful piece of tuna. Simple and one of my favorite easy meals in the area. Had the potatoes I used been a little bit bigger I am pretty sure they would have been very close to what I made..

No comments: